Saturday, April 20, 2013

Video Review

1. I decided to watch the video Expressionism because I wanted to learn different facts and concepts during this time period. I always wanted to understand how art was specifically tied into Expressionism and developed throughout this time. I also decided to watch Dada and Surrealism because I also wanted to learn more about these time period and how art was incorporated and evolved during this time. Also, from watching both of the films I want to learn how art was impacted during these two periods. 2. The key concepts learned in Expressionism are: • An outgrowth of fauvism, Expressionism emphasized color’s emotional properties while demonstrating far less concern than the Fauves • Melancholy painted between 1892 and 93’ is another intense exploration of an inner state of mind which is a great example of art that arose during Expressionism. • It is a subjective art form that distorts reality for an emotional effect. • It impacted many different art forms such as paintings, sculptures, film, and music. • In contributed to the development of Abstract Expressionism The key concepts learned in Dada and Surrealism is: • The Dada Movement, born was a reaction to World War I • Surrealism opened new avenues for artistic creations by striving to bypass the reasoning process and tap directly into the conscious mind. • Dada flourished primarily in Switzerland, New York City and Berlin in the 20th century • Schweitzer incorporated different fragments into his artwork which created a sense of nostalgia. 3. The videos related to the text by they both introduced the time periods and how art has evolved during these two time periods. The video and texts also helped to tie in what impacted these two periods and how that affected artists and their creations. I think the video and text both helped to explain what Expressionism, Dada and Surrealism were and how they influenced art. 4. I enjoyed watching both of the films particularly because I was able to choose what I wanted to learn more about. I always think its helpful that I have some of an understanding of these concepts before watching the films because after watching the films it helps to add more meaning to what I have already read in the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment